Formal Introduction : Descriptive Reflection


Dear Professor Brad

I am Bernadine Wong, currently a student pursing a degree in sustainable infrastructure engineering (building services) at Singapore Institute of Technology. Having a diploma in green building and sustainability from Temasek Polytechnic, I developed an interest for the green building sector during my course of studies.

Through my current study programme, I wish to increase my knowledge in the architectural and engineering aspects of a building. With the acquired skills, I aspire to develop advancement in the building sector and make changes for sustainable operation of building services. I wish to return to the society with the knowledge and skills I will be obtaining from this three and a half year study programme.

In addition to my studies, I am engaged with a part time retail job,which requires interaction with customers from different countries. It is necessary for me to communicate with customers to know their needs thus providing a better and more professional service. My strength in communication is being able to smoothly start a conversation and converse with anyone of different cultural background. 

My weakness in communication is the lack of self-confidence with regards to my language, with the inclusion of speech and writing. I often have trouble with my sentence structuring and grammar usage especially when it involves an important speech or essay writing. Meeting with professionals or native English speaker makes me more conscious of the way I form my sentence structure.

My goals for this module include improving my writing skills, to produce a more comprehensive report. I would also like to be more confident with my presentation skills. I aim to be more active in class and put myself out of my comfort zone to gain more exposure through the process.

I look forward to nurturing communication and writing skills through your effective communication lessons and having an enjoyable time in class.

Best regards
Bernadine Wong



Edited: 20/09/2018

Comments

  1. Clear and straightforward content from introduction. Strength and weakness sufficiently supported with evidence. So far my interaction with you in class has been smooth. With more practice and confidence, I believe you will be able to converse with anyone.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Bernadine,

    Thank you for this detailed open reflection. You cover the key assignment areas and convey lots of information with good fluency. I'm happy to see the way you connect your retail experience with enhancing your communication skills. You also do a very good job weaving together a dscussion of your weakenesses and goals for the module.

    There are a few minor language issues you can improve:

    1) I look forward in nurturing communication and writing skills through your effective communication lessons and have an enjoyable time in class.
    >>> (collocation/parallelism)
    I look forward TO nurturing communication and writing skills through your effective communication lessons and HAVING an enjoyable time in class.

    2) With the acquire skills, I aspire... >>> (wrong form) With the acquired skills, I aspire...

    These are minor points though. I look forward to working with you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad




    ReplyDelete
  3. Good sentence structure, detailed with all your goals, strengths and weaknesses. I think one way to be more confident is to really know what you are presenting! Need to plan and rehearse before presentation helps a lot! If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Critical Writing

Unit 3, Task 2 : Reflection in real life